VA Clinician Resources
- VA Complementary and Integrative Medicine Fact sheet
- VA Whole Health Program
- VA R&D Complementary & Integrative Health Site
- VA National Center for PTSD
- VA’s Be There Awareness Campaign
- DVPRS Scales – One Page Scale
Recommended Clinical Guides
- Note: I do not receive any fees or financial benefits from these recommendations. These are texts that I use as a clinician and that I have found to be both effective and efficient in supporting my work. There are other texts/options available for clinical massage yet I cannot speak to their effectiveness or efficiency. The texts I have found to be most useful:
- Hands Heal by Diana Thompson Communication, Documentation, and Insurance Billing for Manual Therapists Fifth Edition.
- Orthopedic Massage Theory & Technique by Whitney Lowe
- Orthopedic Assessment in Massage Therapy by Whitney Lowe
- A Massage Therapist’s Guide to Pathology by Ruth Werner* next edition available Dec. 2019
- I also strongly recommend using a drug reference app. There are several available through the APP stores.
Veteran-Specific & Massage Therapy Research Resources Therapists
- Massage Therapy Foundation
- Free MTF Research Webinar
- Dr. Munk’s Research *There are more articles on PUB MED identifying her work
- Dr. Rapaport and Erika Larson’s Effect of Swedish Massage Study
- NCCIH Veterans Page
- Free Nicabm training, Treating Trauma, for practitioners through November 7, 2018.
- NIH Videocast: Caring for our Military: Considering Non-drug Therapies for Pain.
- NIH Videocast: Pain and Opioid Management in Veterans: Evidence, Lessons Learned, and Future Directions in the Use of Collaborative and Integrated Care Approaches
- Brainline: All about Brain Injuries and PTSD
- Psycharmor Institute: Free online training for providers
Articles & Intriguing Reads for Integrative Health Care Practitioners
- Pubmed Article: Perceptions of other integrative health therapies by Veterans with pain who are receiving massage
- Pubmed Article: Association between women veterans’ experiences with VA outpatient health care and designation as a women’s health provider in primary care clinics.
- Article from Huffington Post Iraq, Afghanistan War Veterans Struggle with Combat Trauma
- PBS article Years after silently combating sexual trauma, female Veterans seek help
- Good Read by Huff Post: Got Your 6 Coffee Chat: A Lesson in Humility & Humanity
- Coffee Chat: When
- A Chicago Tribune article about Veterans Trek
- NPR story about 6 Women Veterans